Mobile Menu - OpenMobile Menu - Closed

Congressman John Duncan

Representing the 2nd District of Tennessee

Weekly Spotlight : Click Here to Read More

May 31, 2018
Editorial

Last week, my colleagues voted to add an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act that I introduced along with Congressman Polis and Congressman Jones which could incentivize more government employees to come up with cost-saving ideas.

This amendment would help prevent the habit of government agencies spending roughly 60 percent of their budgets within the first 11 months of each fiscal year and spending the remaining 40 percent in the last month.

Currently, agencies try to avoid having a budget surplus because they don't want to risk their budget being cut for the next year. 

This amendment directs the Secretary of Defense to report to Congress on the military's existing and future incentive programs that encourage creative, cost-saving ideas.

It can help to expand and streamline those existing programs to better reward military personnel who help the Department of Defense become more efficient.

We need to be good stewards of the taxpayers' money and should do everything we can to ensure that our military's funding is used wisely and where it is needed most.