Duncan Demands Answers on Libya
WASHINGTON--Congressman John J. Duncan, Jr. (R-Tenn.) co-signed a letter Wednesday to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and President Obama demanding more information on the September 11th murder of a U.S. Ambassador and three others in Libya, saying it was “terrible we did not give our diplomats more security.”
In the letter, Duncan requested a “full and immediate response” to a list of oversight questions about the attack.
“I am still very concerned about the many different stories coming from the Administration over the events that took place that day,” Duncan said. “The more information that comes out, the more troubling their explanation becomes.
“It is terrible what happened to our people in Benghazi, and I support holding Congressional hearings just as soon as possible. This stonewalling by the Administration must stop,” Duncan said.
“The families of those killed deserve nothing less than total transparency about that day from their government,” Duncan continued.
“It is also very false to say that security to our embassies had been cut. Since September 11, 2001, we have given huge increases—mega billions—to the State Department for security. We also have troops all over the world in just about every country, and we need to know why our consulate in Benghazi was left under attack for so long without any help,” Duncan said.
Shortly following the attack in September, Duncan also called for the U.S. to cut off the money flow to Libya:
“Not one more penny from any federal department or agency should go to Libya until these murderers and terrorists are brought to justice, and the government of Libya must cooperate to the fullest extent.
“It makes no sense whatsoever to me to keep spending billions and billions of dollars in countries where the people do not appreciate it and at times express hatred toward us.”